PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE AND AGENDA
CALIFORNIA NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE COMMISSION
Office Phone (916) 373-3710
Friday, January 21, 2022
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Agenda items may be taken out of order.
Notices and agendas for Native American Heritage Commission meetings and public hearings may be found at https://nahc.ca.gov.
Commissioners will participate remotely. The public may participate and provide public comment during the public comment periods by telephone or zoom, and otherwise observe remotely in accordance with Bagley-Keene Open Meetings Act per Executive Order No. 25-20:
“All requirements in both the Bagley-Keene Act and the Brown Act expressly or impliedly requiring the physical presence of members, the clerk or other personnel of the body, or of the public as a condition of participation in or quorum for a public meeting are hereby waived. In particular, (i) any otherwise-applicable requirements that state and local bodies notice each teleconference location from which a member will be participating in a public meeting.”
Live audio streaming and archived audio of this Commission meeting may be heard at http://www.cal-span.org
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
USA 214 765 0479 US Toll
USA 888 278 0296 US Toll-free
Conference code: 596019
10:00 am CALL TO ORDER – NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE COMMISSION
- Roll Call
- Introduction of Commissioners, Staff, and Attorney General’s Representative
- Traditional Opening
- Bagley Keene Open Meeting Act, John Appelbaum, Deputy Attorney General
- Political Reform Act, John Appelbaum, Deputy Attorney General
- Status Update: MLD Regulations, John Appelbaum, Deputy Attorney General and Laura Miranda, Chairperson
- Status Update: California Tribal Contact List Regulations, Justin Freeborn, Enforcement Attorney
- Status Update: CalNAGPRA Implementation, John Appelbaum, Deputy Attorney General and Vanessa Racehorse, CalNAGPRA Attorney
- Update on the Tribal Justice Project, UC Davis, Christine Williams
- Commissioner Reports
12:00 pm LUNCH BREAK
12:30 pm CLOSED SESSION – Commissioners, Staff, and Attorney General’s Representative Only
- Pending Litigation
(Government Code sections 11126(e)(1), (e)(2)(A), (e)(2)(C)(i))
a. Juaneno Band of Mission Indians, Acjachemen Nation – Belardes and California Cultural Resources Preservation Alliance, Inc. v. California State University; case number: 19STCP04339– Matter involving Puvungna sacred site located on California State University, Long Beach property.
1:00 pm ACTION
- Approval of Minutes
- July 30, 2021
- July 30, 2021 – Closed Session
- Puvungna Investigation Tribal Request, Justin Freeborn, Enforcement Attorney
- San Jose State University Mishandling of Ca Indian Human Remains, Vanessa Racehorse, CalNAGPRA Attorney
- Consider Nominations to UC NAGPRA Committees, Vanessa Racehorse, CalNAGPRA Attorney
- UC NAGPRA Committees Short-Term Substitution and Member Replacement Process, Vanessa Racehorse, CalNAGPRA Attorney
- CalNAGPRA Mediation Regulations, Vanessa Racehorse, CalNAGPRA Attorney
- Subcommittee Vacancies:
- Contact List regulations subcommittee – One vacancy
- MLD regulations subcommittee – One vacancy
- UC Nominations subcommittee – One vacancy
- CalNAGPRA regulations subcommittee – One vacancy
- NAHC Operational regulations: Two vacancies
- UC NAGPRA Policy Subcommittee – One vacancy
- Election for the NAHC Secretary Position
PUBLIC COMMENT – Public comment will be limited to 5 minutes for each speaker, unless otherwise determined by the Commission.
Please email your public comments to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00PM Thursday, January 20, 2022. All submissions should include “Public Comment” in the subject line, your name, who you represent, and the subject you wish to address.
The public may comment on any item on the agenda before action is taken on the item.
4:00 pm ADJOURNMENT – At the end of Public Comment or 4:00 PM, whichever is first.
*The Native American Heritage Commission complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need additional information or assistance, please contact the Commission at (916) 373-3710 or via email at email@example.com. Our website address is: www.nahc.ca.gov. Follow us on Twitter: @CA_NAHC